POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Q: 3.1e & cmax & patches : Re: Q: 3.1e & cmax & patches Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:32:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: 3.1e & cmax & patches
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 29 Mar 1999 02:14:35
Message: <36FF2858.13F820B2@aol.com>
The following works in Win95 anyway, so should be pretty much the same
for 98 or NT I would think. Only a suggested possibility here.
Make a sub-folder for the patch or patches in the bin folder, I used
Photon and Super for names.
Put all the patch files into their respective folders, NOTE: uvpov.exe
will need the cmax101.dll dated 9/9/98 [170K] in its folder as well (I
don't know about povray.exe SuperPatch or others), then copy and rename
the original 3.1e cmedit.dll to cmedit.dlo and the older cmedit.dll to
cmedit.dlp (make another copy cmedit.dls for SuperPatch though it is the
same just to be orderly). Here's the batch files written out using
Notepad that I'm using to switch between these:

Put this one into bin folder, saved as 31e.bat (or whatever).

@echo off
:. Version 3.1e batch
cd c:\progra~1\pov-ra~1.1\bin
copy /y cmedit.dll cmedit.dlx
del cmedit.dll
copy cmedit.dlo cmedit.dll
pvengine.exe
exit

Put this next one into bin\Super sub-folder, name it Super.bat(?)

@echo off
:. Super Patch batch
cd c:\progra~1\pov-ra~1.1\bin
copy /y cmedit.dll cmedit.dlx
del cmedit.dll
copy cmedit.dls cmedit.dll
povray.exe
exit

And put this one into the bin\Photon sub-folder, naming it photon.bat(?)

@echo off
:. Photon Map batch
cd c:\progra~1\pov-ra~1.1\bin
copy /y cmedit.dll cmedit.dlx
del cmedit.dll
copy cmedit.dlp cmedit.dll
uvpov.exe
exit

Make shortcuts to the Desktop for these and right-click on their icons,
go into Properties/Program tab and check the "Close on Exit" box.
This will keep separate copies of the dll and allow the switching to be
possible but you will have to use these new shortcuts only since the dll
may not be the right one next time you try a different POV-Ray. Also,
you can not have two different ones open at the same time or a sharing
violation occurs. I would have made the cmedit.dll return to the
original each time but I couldn't get it to work, the batch seems to
complete and then the POV-Ray program errors due to a wrong DLL when run
all at once.
Hope this helps the few who want to do such a thing as this. If you know
how to do this better than me, great, however I've got a working system
going for now so I won't need to change.

Directory/file structure for the inept ;-)

C:\Progra~1\POV-Ra~1\bin
			pvengine.exe
			cmax101.dll...180K...3/7/99
			cmedit.dlo ...683K...3/20/99
			cmedit.dlp ...680K...2/15/99
			cmedit.dls ...680K...2/15/99

				\Photon
				uvpov.exe
				cmax101.dll ...170K...9/9/98

				\Super
				cmax101.dll ...170K...9/9/98
			others	*.dll       ...?K  ...10/28/98(?)

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe